Turkey Feathers Supplier
M. Schwartz & Gettinger Feather Inc. is a trusted supplier of turkey feathers and does so at a wholesale rate. Turkey feathers are great for many different occasions, including arts and crafts. We ship our turkey feathers to customers around the country and can even customize some of the orders to specifically adhere to your needs.
The wild turkey is a bird that is native to North America and is the heaviest member of its order. It is interesting to think, though, that the turkeys that appear in other part of the world is due to the fact that British ships brought them places after colonizing America. Learn more about turkeys below:
- Adult males are called toms or gobblers. These birds have large, featherless, reddish heads, with a red throat and red wattles on the throat and neck.
- Juvenile males are called jakes. The biggest different between an adult turkey and a juvenile one is that the jake has a very short beard and his tail fan has longer feather in the middle.
- The male turkey is larger than the female. They also typically have a a tuft of hair located at the center of the breast.
- The average weight of a male is 17 lbs and the female logs in at 9.4 lbs.
- Turkeys prefer living in forests with openings that include pastures, fields and orchards. They are quite adaptable to any dense, native plant community that has openings widely available.
- Turkeys have between 5000 and 6000 feathers.
- The tail feathers on adults are all the same size. Whereas with juveniles, they are different.
Behavior of Turkeys
Turkeys exhibit a wide range of behaviors, ranging from flight to foraging to social structures and mating even to various types of vocalizations. You may not be able to picture it, but wild turkeys are agile fliers despite their weight. They can find perches on trees and beneath canopy tops, but usually only fly close to the ground and at not more than a quarter mile (500 m) into the sky.
The snood, if you did not know, is the fleshy protuberance that is found on the forehead of turkeys. In a relaxed state, the snood is typically 2-3 cm long. However, when a turkey begins strutting (how turkeys court), then the snood becomes redder and elongates. Turkeys also have a proclivity to fight and when they do they attack the snood. This leads to some farmers to "desnood" the turkey to avoid any injuries. Its main functions is mostly centered around mating, as it plays a part in the courtship of female turkeys.
Nationwide Distributor of Turkey Feathers
MSG Feather Inc. has a wide selection of quality feathers available at low, wholesale rates. We proudly ship all of our feathers to customers nationwide. Included in our selection are quality and beautiful turkey feathers. If you are interested in our turkey feathers, please contact us today.So, if you're interested in our feathers, please give us a call at: (631) 234-7722. We have years of experience and can help you with any questions or concerns you may have about of line of feathers.